We seek an exceptional candidate to join our Open Gov Hub team full-time as Program and Membership Manager!
About the Role
We seek an entrepreneurial, motivated, highly-organized community builder to lead our programs and events in order to amplify collaboration, learning and innovation across the Open Gov Hub community (organizational objective #2 below). The position is responsible for running an average of 3 program activities/events per week (150 per year). The Program and Membership Manager is a critical contributor to our core mission of being a dynamic meeting place that brings together social impact organizations, ideas and resources, to open up governments and empower citizens worldwide.
Our ideal candidate is a constant connector of diverse people and ideas . You see connections that others don’t, are fulfilled by bringing new relationships and activities to life, and have exceptional interpersonal skills. You are a masterful communicator, planner and facilitator of activities and conversations. You enjoy working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with minimal constraints and a diverse workload, and are an innovative changemaker passionate about open government issues broadly defined.
You will plan a wide variety of frequent activities to activate connections and collaborations across wide-ranging networks. You will regularly get to know what Hub members need and can share with others, and find resources to support their work. You will serve as a professional matchmaker – uncovering shared interests between individuals and organizations, and linking them for mutual benefit. And, you will serve as a sounding board and support for a variety of social impact organizations, helping strengthen their teams and work in small and large ways.
In sum, your job will be to catalyze, curate, and animate our social impact community to its full potential through envisioning and implementing strategic, high-value programs/events and collaborations. In doing so, you will be an essential gateway, node and resource for the entire Open Gov Hub community (of ~250 members from ~40 organizations, plus numerous partners, and the broader public).
This is a unique opportunity for an outstanding connector of people and ideas to learn about a range of issues and organizations, exponentially grow their own network, and support and advance a global community of changemakers.
This position is based at our office in downtown Washington, D.C. and reports to the Hub Director.
About Open Gov Hub
The Open Gov Hub is a dynamic meeting place that supports a network of over 40 member organizations who are promoting government accountability and transparency and civic engagement around the world. Founded in 2012 as the world’s first hub focused on these issues, we exist to increase the impact of the global open government movement. We pursue three organizational objectives:
- Running a world-class thematic coworking space in downtown DC and providing shared back-office support to our members (e.g.: IT, events management, and communications) to help them be more efficient
- Running frequent programs and events to enable our members and partners to learn, collaborate and innovate together in a wide variety of ways, in order to increase their organizational effectiveness and collective impact
- Educating new stakeholders about open government issues, serving as a resource center that offers a bird’s eye view on this field and helps garner buy-in from new stakeholders and partners to engage with and support open government reforms and advocates.
We area nonprofit social enterprise and an initiative of our two founding nonprofits, Global Integrity and Development Gateway. As a result of continued growth in our programs and membership, the Open Gov Hub is growing our staff and seeks an exceptional candidate to join the team.
Event/Programming Design and Implementation (50%) – Lead planning and implementation of suite of diverse programs (one time and ongoing events), for Hub members and broader public
- Regularly plan internal programming for members that fosters interpersonal relationships, collaborations, skills, organizational capacities, and innovation
- Regularly plan public events (ex: panels, book talks, brown bags, lightning talks, etc.) that educate audience about timely, opengov issues
- Partner with diverse organizations to jointly host events/programs
- Ensure events meet principles in Guide to Great Events
- Facilitate/moderate/host events
- Continually innovate and refine programming strategy
- Maintain basic familiarity with top issues/trends in fields of democracy and open governance, international development, and related
Member Relations/Engagement and Network Facilitation (25%)– Maintain strong relationships with community, ensuring members benefit from and participate in Hub collaborative efforts
- Develop and maintain trusted rapport with members
- Facilitate or support member-led collaborations (ex: peer learning groups)
- Regularly initiate introductions across network
- Develop/maintain member database, and possible basic network data visualizations
- Lead efforts to obtain further resources for top collaborations
- Supervise 1-3 part-time volunteers
- Support Director with occasional membership outreach/recruitment
Communications (15%) – Produce internal and external communications to stimulate member’ engagement, and share learnings and stories of opengov work and the Hub model/impact
- Regularly produce core communications outputs (ex: daily Tweets, weekly email digest, monthly newsletter, periodic blog posts)
- Manage/oversee social media
- Produce and promote Eventbrite pages to drive event registration
- Record and creatively disseminate key ideas from events
Program Evaluation and Network Impact (10%)
- Periodically assess collective impact of members’ work, and value of Hub programs – supporting Hub Director with biannual member surveys, quarterly town halls, occasional interviews, etc.
- Periodically draft narratives about Hub impact for external audiences
- Bachelor’s degree or above in relevant fields of International Development, Politics/Public Policy, Nonprofit Management, or related field (Master’s preferred)
- 3-5 years relevant work experience in program development, community organizing and/or coalition building, including event design, planning and execution and/or facilitating a professional membership network/association
- Highly entrepreneurial, proactive, innovative; Both an ideas person/strategic thinker and master executor/implementer
- Thrives in dynamic, buzzing environment, regularly interacting with different topics and partners
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Passion for and some familiarity/expertise with open government issues
- Highly organized, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to hold self and others accountable to timely, high-quality results
- Efficient multitasker – ability to prioritize amidst a sea of constant activity
- Strong communicator (written and oral), and comfort with public speaking
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- International work experience
- Links to networks in related fields of social impact, international development, democracy and governance, data for good/civic tech, human rights, etc.
- Experience supervising volunteers
- Experience in startup/entrepreneurial enterprise
- Communications/graphic design experience
- Experience organizing educational or professional development seminars/workshops
- Familiarity with creative/interactive event formats (ex: unconference)
- Familiarity with approaches to collective action and analysis (ex: collective impact)
- Experience evaluating the impact of networks (ex: social network analysis)
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and exceptional benefits through the managing operator of the Open Gov Hub, Global Integrity. This includes high-quality health, dental and vision policies, as well as a modest life insurance policy. The organization currently pays 100% of the premiums associated with those benefits. Generous holiday and sick time are also provided. The organization also contributes to employees’ retirement accounts and provides a transit benefit.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample through link below.
The application deadline is February 1st.