We’re currently seeking an exceptional candidate to join our Open Gov Hub team full-time as Operations and Facilities Manager!
About the Role
We seek a hard-working, approachable problem solver and highly organized professional to lead our first organizational objective above and drive the operations of our large, world-class coworking space.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is excited about maintaining and continuously improving the behind the scenes operations (services, space/facilities, and processes) needed to make our dynamic and collaborative shared office and event space thrive. In doing so, they will support our nonprofit members to better achieve positive social impact.
On average, the Hub hosts 100 members in our workspace daily, welcomes 5-10 new staff per month, and hosts over 1,000 visitors per month (including event attendees). This role will be the first point of contact and frontline support to ensure that every member’s and visitor’s encounter with the Hub is exceptional. The position is a critical member of our small entrepreneurial team. You will have high autonomy and support while you ensure that the Open Gov Hub space and community is well maintained and regularly improved.
This role is right for you if you are someone with a natural inclination to be highly process and detail oriented. You enjoy regularly evaluating and assessing workflows then streamlining and improving them. You are proactive, self-directed and an initiative-taker. You love rising to the challenge of determining how you can best support a whole community of social impact organizations on a daily basis. You love to roll up your sleeves and solve concrete problems for others on a regular basis. You want to meet new people and exponentially grow your professional network as part of an ambitious and entrepreneurial team. You are excited to regularly envision and implement improvements to our operations and office management (our facilities, processes, and member services) for our non-traditional and collaborative social impact space and community.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a highly organized person to play a critical role in a truly dynamic environment supporting a global community of changemakers.
This position will be based at our office in downtown Washington, D.C. and will report to the Open Gov Hub Director.
About Open Gov Hub
The Open Gov Hub is a dynamic meeting place that supports a network of over 40 member organizations who are promoting government accountability and transparency and civic engagement around the world. Founded in 2012 as the world’s first hub focused on these issues, our mission is to increase the impact of the global open government movement. We do this through three core organizational objectives:
- Running a world-class coworking space/shared office in downtown DC and providing shared back-office support to our members (e.g.: IT, events management, and communications).
- Running frequent programs and events (approx. 3 per week, 150 per year) to enable our members and partners to learn, collaborate and innovate together in a wide variety of ways, in order to increase their organizational effectiveness and collective impact
- Educating new stakeholders about open government issues, serving as a resource center that offers a bird’s eye view on this field and helps garner buy-in from new stakeholders and partners to engage with and support open government reforms and advocates.
We run as a nonprofit social enterprise, and as an initiative of our two founding nonprofits, Global Integrity and Development Gateway. As a result of our continued growth in our programs and membership, the Open Gov Hub is growing our staff and seeks an exceptional candidate to join the team.
Facilities and Office Management (30%)
- Maintain and proactively identify and implement ongoing improvements to 20,000 sq. ft. office and event space
- Lead work with vendors/building management facility maintenance, repairs
- Manage supplies and inventory (to budget)
- Visitor management/front desk concierge; regularly improve “user” (guest/tenant) experience
- Primary liaison with building security, maintain up-to-date access cards/fobs for all staff working at the Hub, etc.
- Room booking support – resolve occasional room booking conflicts and generate monthly usage reports to all organizations, and quarterly printing/copying usage reports
- Mail and package management
- Update office signage and desk name plates to reflect changes in member community
- Organize monthly volunteer cleaning brigade
- Supervise part-time/intern/volunteer support (either our Community Catalysts or similar role of administrative and daily operations support)
Event Logistics (15%)
- Work with Program Manager to meet the needs of users of conference/event space (members and outside renters)
- Compile details of all planned large meetings/events and notify security and building management in a weekly event inventory
- Ensure streamlined process leading up to, during, and after all public events using existing checklists; including but not limited to event space set-up/breakdown, RSVP management, catering, A/V setup, post-event feedback survey to renters and attendees, etc.
Vendor Relations (15%)
- Establish and maintain relationships with all vendors
- Negotiate service agreements and preferred pricing or other service arrangements for the Hub and its members
- Serve as main point of contact/liaison with building management (landlord, building engineer, security guards, etc.)
- Serve as main point of contact/liaison with a wide variety of vendors/contractors (ex: IT, HVAC, lighting, furniture, catering, etc.)
- Ensure insurance paperwork is up to date for all vendors
Member Support (20%)
- Identify and provide new operational improvements to generate cost savings and other efficiency benefits to member organizations
- Offer basic IT troubleshooting using existing troubleshooting checklists (first line of support to address members’ wifi, printing and videoconferencing issues), and manage weekly contracted onsite IT technician
- Onboard all new staff working at Hub
- Politely and authoritatively enforce community norms (“good neighbor” guidelines for working in a shared, open office)
- Manage small member contract/billing changes
Conference/Event Space and Meeting Room Rentals (20%)
Manage leads, offer tours, and successfully secure external bookings of event/conference space and meeting rooms to meet monthly income target
- 3-5 years professional experience in business/office management or related field
- Degree preferred
- Superior hospitality and customer service experience
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Relentless problem solver – loves to help others and make someone’s day
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and process-oriented
- Ability to effectively negotiate (ex: service agreements with external vendors)
- Basic budgeting skills (managing a large inventory on budget)
- Efficient multitasker – able to adapt personal workload to daily changing needs and with minimal supervision
- Proactive, naturally entrepreneurial, self-directed initiative taker (thrives with autonomy and always looking for and suggesting new ideas, especially ways to improve organizational efficiency, recurring workflows, and office environment)
- Exceptional administrative and office management skills and experience
- Top-notch people skills – warm and approachable, able to effectively work with different personalities
- Comfort with basic IT troubleshooting (We do not need a coder! But are looking for someone comfortable troubleshooting basic issues with videoconferencing, printing, wifi, etc.)
- Experience in a coworking space or shared office a plus
- Previous space management experience (facilities/property/real estate, etc.) a plus
- Experience in any nonprofit startup/entrepreneurial ventures is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and exceptional benefits through the managing operator of the Open Gov Hub, Global Integrity. This includes high-quality health, dental and vision policies, as well as a modest life insurance policy. The organization currently pays 100% of the premiums associated with those benefits. Generous holiday and sick time are also provided. The organization also contributes to employees’ retirement accounts and provides a transit benefit.
Apply here by Friday, February 1st: https://airtable.com/shr3ylD9TT38NHrXJ